X-GAL is a chromogenic substrate for ß-Galactosidase used to differentiate recombinants from nonrecombinants in cloning experiments using vectors containing the lacZ or lacZ α-peptide gene.
- Perfect for cloning – gives an intense blue precipitate upon hydrolysis by β-galactosidase
- Extremely pure – confirmed by TLC
5-bromo-4-chloro-3-indolyl ß-D-galactopyranoside (X-GAL) is a chromogenic substrate for ß-Galactosidase that forms an intense blue precipitate.It can be used in molecular biology to detect the gal gene product, and also in microbiology where it is used to detect micro-organisms which have ß-Galactosidase activity (usually coliforms). It can be combined with the R-substrates to differentiate between two species of organisms on the same plate. X-GAL is soluble in N, N-dimethylformamide.
X-GAL is part of the Meridian Essentials range of products, which includes agaroses, buffers, PCR water and enhancers, antibiotic solutions, cloning reagents and protein digestion reagents.
- Blue/White cloning systems
- Immunocytochemical assays
- Microbiology and cell culture media