IPTG (Isopropyl ß-D-1-thiogalactopyranoside), is a molecular biology reagent. This compound is a molecular mimic of allolactose, a lactose metabolite that triggers transcription of the lac operon and it is therefore used to induce protein expression where the gene is under the control of the lac operator.
- Induces E.coli lac operon activity – suitable for cloning and protein expression procedures
- Dioxane free – does not disrupt normal cell function
- >99.6% purity – confirmed by HPLC
- Convenient – available as powder and stabilized stock solution
Isopropyl-ß-D-thiogalactopyranoside (IPTG) is a chemical analogue of galactose, which cannot be hydrolyzed by the enzyme ß–Galactosidase. Hence, it induces the E. coli lac operon activity by binding and inhibiting the lac repressor without being degraded. Genes controlled by the lac or tac promotor/operator sequences are expressed to high levels in the presence of IPTG.
IPTG is part of the Meridian Essentials range of products, which includes agaroses, buffers, PCR water and enhancers, antibiotic solutions, cloning reagents and protein digestion reagents.
- Blue/white color screening
- Induction of lac operon for protein expression
- Genes controlled by the lac or tac promotor/operator sequences are expressed to high levels in the presence of IPTG