Midori Green Direct represents a new and safe class of nucleic acid stains for visualization of double-stranded DNA, single-stranded DNA, and RNA in agarose gels. The dyes are developed to replace toxic Ethidium Bromide (EtBr, a potent mutagen), commonly used in gel electrophoresis for visualization of nucleic acids in agarose gels.
MIDORI GREEN DIRECT was developed to work with Blue Light LED illuminators (like the Fastgene®-Blue-led-illuminator/; Cat.: FG-05) but it can be used with regular UV transilluminators as well. The exact excitation wavelength peaks are 290 nm and 490 nm. Emission peak is 530 nm.
Better results in downstream application:
|Cloning efficiency comparison of Ethidium Bromide and Midori Green Direct|
For more information about cloning efficiency click here
MIDORI GREEN DIRECT stains are provided in a form of 10X sample loading dyes and they are to be added to your samples only. You do not need to add any other dyes to both gel matrix and running buffers.
- Prepare the agarose solution
- Mix gently without having air bubbles
- Let the solution cool down to 60-70°C and cast the gel
- Mix samples and DNA markers with MIDORI GREEN DIRECTstain at 1:10 (dye:sample) dilution rate
- After the electrophoresis, view and document your results as you would do with Ethidium Bromide staining protocols.View the results under traditional UV light after electrophoresis or use non hazardous Fastgene®Blue-led-illuminator/
|Fig.2: 1% agarose gel – samples were directly stained with MIDORI GREEN DIRECT|