DNA isolation is performed on various sample type such as blood, tissue, plant leaves and seeds, buccal swabs, cells and many more. GC biotech has a profound history in the performance and automation of the DNA isolation process on every level of throughput or sample material.
The CleanNA isolation kits are based on paramagnetic beads and a proprietary buffer system. Combined with the efficient wash and elution steps, high yields of DNA with an excellent purity are obtained. CleanNA offers DNA isolation kits for the isolation of DNA from all sample types as mentioned above and more. CleanNA aims to launch multiple new kits per year to further increase the service we provide to our customers in their needs for DNA isolation techniques.
Our customers are working in various fields of expertise such as the human genetics, plant genomics or related fields. DNA isolation is often the start of their research and/or diagnostic assay and is therefore performed on various throughput levels from low to ultra-high or with very strict quality demands.
DNA isolation on low throughput
DNA isolation on low throughput levels is often performed in sample amounts from 1-10. To enable even this low throughput demand to be automated, GC biotech offers the Maelstrom 8. The Maelstrom 8 is the world’s first portable DNA isolation system. The system is able to handle up to 8 samples simultaneous using the Spin-Tip technology.
The Maelstrom 8 can be used either handheld, or placed in the auto-handler. The auto-handler makes the system a walk-away solution for low throughput DNA isolation. Depending on the amount of washing steps used in the process, up to 16 samples can be processed within one 96 well plate.
The process for using the Maelstrom 8 liquid is depending on the magnetic bead based isolation assay used. The schedule below is based upon the isolation of DNA from plant material.
Figure 1: CleanPlant Process schematic
This process has a total of 9 steps and can be performed using the Maelstrom 8 and auto-handler. The process:
- Sample (leave, stem or seed) is placed in a tube including grinding beads
- Grind and lyse sample and transfer to process plate containing all buffers and reagents, place on the Maelstrom 8 and start the process
- The DNA is bound to the magnetic beads
- The beads and the bound DNA are transferred into the next well containing wash buffer
- After mixing and collecting the beads, the beads and DNA are again transferred into the next well
- After mixing and collecting a third wash cycle is performed to ensure the highest purity.
- The beads and DNA are transferred into a well containing elution buffer
- After mixing, the beads are collected. The DNA is now in the elution buffer
- The beads are disposed into an earlier used well
DNA isolation on medium throughput
If the sample throughput increases, the need for automation will increase too. However, the investment for a high or even ultra-high isolation platform is not yet needed. To enable the automation of DNA isolation from various sample material in a 96 sample per run throughput, GC biotech offers the TanBead Maelstrom 9600.
The Tanbead Maelstrom 9600 uses the exact same spin tip technology including all benefits (less risk of sheared DNA, improved mixing technology). The Tanbead Maelstrom 9600 operates on a throughput of a full 96 well plate per run.
The Maelstrom 9600 operation is user friendly due to the design and operating system. The touchscreen allows for ease of use during the start of the run. Programming new DNA isolation protocols in the software is intuitive and can even be done from behind your desk.
The hardware is robust. The system has two heated positions that enable the user to perform the elution or incubation step on a higher temperature.
Normal operation requires the user to fill the buffer plates manually. Increased automation might involve the automated plate filling. Depending on the need of operation there are multiple automation options for plate filling.
DNA isolation on a high and ultra-high throughput
Once the throughput increases to a point where a fully automated system is needed and the demand for a complete walk-away solution is preferred, there are many choices within the market. GC biotech offers multiple solutions depending on your exact need and demands.
The Dynamic Devices Lynx liquid handlers are available in multiple formats ranging from 12 up to 66 microplate positions. Each system can be used for DNA isolation from various sample types in various throughputs. For a high throughput setting, the most common systems are the Lynx 900, Lynx 1200 and Lynx 1800. Depending on the exact needs, our skilled applications specialists can help you design the best system for your application and situation.
The magnetic bead based separation can be performed on standard magnetic plates, or on the specific designed build-in magnetic lift. The throughput can range from four 96 well plates per run up to as many as needed.
If even a high-throughput setting does not fulfill the needs or requires too many manual steps, the Bionex Hive integrated systems offer a full walk-away solution for the isolation of 50-250 plates per run. The Bionex Hive automation solutions are all custom designed and scheduled for your application needs. Due to the flexible integration, the system can be equipped with nearly all third party devices, even the devices already available in your lab.
For an easier validation, the isolation itself can be performed on the integrated Maelstrom 4800. This system uses the exact same technology as the Maelstrom 8 and Maelstrom 9600.
The CleanNA magnetic bead based kits
CleanNA offers many kits and reagents for the isolation of DNA. Many different sample types can be used, on any throughput desired. The CleanNA kits are all developed from an automation point of view.
The range of kits include among others:
- Clean Plant & Clean Plant PK for the isolation of DNA from many different plant types. The Clean Plant PK kit is based on the Clean Plant with a slightly different protocol, making the kit even more efficient and flexible in use. The lysis and binding buffer complex is designed to minimize the co-purification of polyphenols and polysaccharides. With the CleanPlant PK kit, CleanNA offers the most versatile and flexible DNA isolation solutions for plant material available in the market today.
- Clean Blood & Tissue extracts high quality genomic DNA from fresh and frozen blood samples in a volume range of 1-200 μl. The Clean Blood & Tissue kit is also designed for DNA isolation from buffy coat, saliva or tissue samples. The Clean Blood & Tissue protocol does not contain any heating steps, making the Clean Blood & Tissue kit the ideal solution for automation from low to ultra-high throughput. If specific sample volumes larger than the described 200 μl sample volume for whole blood are needed, our dedicated development team can help you design the best suited protocol.
- Clean Pathogen isolates host genomic DNA, gram positive or negative bacterial DNA, viral DNA or fungal spore DNA. The kit design and protocol are fully scalable for all sample volume and throughput demands on low, medium, high and ultra-high throughput.
- Clean Plasmid for the extraction of high quality DNA from high copy and low copy number plasmid, but also for the extraction of DNA from Bacterial Artificial Chromosome (BACs), Plasmid Artificial Chromosome (PACs) and cosmids. The isolated DNA is suitable for most downstream applications such as digestion and fluorescent DNA sequencing.
- Clean FFPE isolates DNA from Formalin-Fixed, Paraffin-Embedded tissue samples. The specifically designed lysis and buffer components prevent cross-linking of nucleic acids during the isolation process. The quality of the isolated DNA enable the use of many common downstream applications on various throughputs and levels of automation.
- Clean Viral isolates viral DNA from whole blood, serum, plasma, saliva and other body fluids. The kit and protocol design results in high quality DNA free from proteins, nucleases and other impurities. The isolated DNA is ready to use for downstream applications such as PCR and enzyme restriction assays.
- Clean Circulating isolates the cell-free DNA from plasma/serum samples with a volume of 500 μl up to 2 ml. The isolation of free circulating DNA has become a common technology for prenatal testing in the last few years. The use of free circulating DNA allow for a Non-Invasive Prenatal Test (NIPT), where there are no risks involved for mother or child opposed to many common technologies. The isolation of free circulating DNA has many more applications. The Clean Circulating kit is fully scalable to enable automation on many platforms and throughputs.
- Clean Stool isolates both pathogen and host genomic DNA from stool samples up to 300 μl. With a total processing time of less than 45 minutes, the Clean Stool kit provides a fast and reliable protocol. The isolated DNA can be used in many downstream assays such as hybridization, restriction digestion and PCR.